UCD vocabulary revision : first iteration of the maintance procedure

Francois Ochsenbein francois.ochsenbein at gmail.com
Mon May 21 18:51:00 CEST 2018

+1 for me, the way used for the abbreviation of terms used in UCDs
does not seem to follow any specified rule...

However, looking for coherence in the way used for term abbreviations,
one can note that "electCharge" follows a similar abbreviation as
"electField", and that "pos.spherical.azi" follows the same rule as
the "pos.az.azi" term.

Markus' remarks about the multiplicity of spherical coordinates also
needs some consideration (e.g. pos.spherical.azi;pos.az has exactly the
same meaning as pos.az.azi). For equatorial/galactic/ecliptic frames
however, the "lon" and "lat" components differ from the "azi" and
"colat" angles (opposite directions).

Cheers, François

==> Le lundi 2018-05-21 à 09:35+0200,
    "Frederic V. Hessman" <hessman at astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de> a
écrit:

>I suppose that the systematics of name-giving are relatively
>unimportant for UCD's (they are just tokens), but is there a reason
>why some terms are kept long and some short?  E.g. "azi" versus
>"azimuth", a long "bidirectional" but a short "df" versus
>"distFunction" or "pdf", "electCharge" instead of "electricChange" (or
>simply "charge")?
>
>Having too many hierarchical levels means hiding the context and
>adding unnecessarily many terms:  since we discussed adding a PDF term
>for distribution functions anyway, how about
>
>	phys.reflectance.bidirectiona.df		-->
>	phys,reflectance.bidirectional + stat.pdf
>
>Rick
>
>> On 21 May 2018, at 00:30, Mireille Louys <mireille.louys at unistra.fr>
>> wrote:
>
>>   Q | phys.electCharge | Electric charge
>>   Q | phys.current | Electric current
>>   Q | phys.current.density | Electric current density
>>   Q | pos.incidenceAng | Incidence angle of optical ray on an
>> interface Q | pos.emergenceAng | Emergence angle of optical ray on
>> an interface Q | pos.azimuth | azimuthal angle in a generic
>> reference plane Q | phys.reflectance | Radiance factor (received
>> radiance divided by input radiance) Q |
>> phys.reflectance.bidirectional | Bidirectional reflectance Q |
>> phys.reflectance.bidirectional.df | Bidirectional reflectance
>> distribution function Q | phys.reflectance.factor | Reflectance
>> normalized per direction cosine of incidence angle S
>> |pos.cylindrical |Related to cylindrical coordinates Q |
>> pos.cylindrical.r | Radial distance from z-axis (cylindrical
>> coordinates) Q | pos.cylindrical.azi | Azimuthal angle around z-axis
>> (cylindrical coordinates) Q | pos.cylindrical.z | Height or altitude
>> from reference plane (cylindrical coordinates) S | pos.spherical |
>> Related to cylindrical coordinates Q | pos.spherical.r | Radial
>> distance or radius (spherical coordinates) Q | pos.spherical.azi |
>> Azimuthal angle (spherical coordinates) Q | pos.spherical.colat
>> |Polar or Colatitude angle (spherical coordinates) Q |
>> pos.resolution | Spatial linear resolution (not angular) S |
>> pos.bodycentric | Body-centric related coordinate S |
>> pos.bodygraphic | Body-graphic related coordinate Q | meta.checksum
>> | Numerical signature of digital data Q |
>> phys.polarization.coherency | Matrix of the correlation between
>> components of an electromagnetic wave
>>
>> The full detailed discussion is available at the dedicated web page
>> http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/UCDList1dot42017June2018FebRFM
>> <http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/UCDList1dot42017June2018FebRFM>
>> We would like to have these terms agreed by the TCG in order to
>> validate UCD List version 1.4
>>
>> Please revise this list and express your comments.
>> Many thanks ,
>> Mireille (Semantics WG chair)
>>

>> <mireille_louys.vcf>

Francois Ochsenbein  ---   6, rue des Vosges -- 67380 Lingolsheim
ochsenbein at evc.net   ---   francois.ochsenbein at gmail.com
+33 (0)388 77 81 17  ---   +33 (0)602 39 60 78