[UCD] Question about representation of HEALPix pixel IDs

Laurent Michel laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
Thu Apr 19 15:13:19 CEST 2018

Hi Gregory,

Using UCDs to retrieve the Healpix frame supposes that the client will pick here and there values from which it could
reconstruct that frame.
In a model approach, the healpix frame is defined by the model, so that the client just has to build a model instance to get
that frame. This second approach is more consistent, a bit more heavy though, since the way data are tied is not inferred by the
client.

As Markus said, I experimented this model oriented approach in my Tessellation project.

    https://volute.g-vo.org/svn/trunk/projects/dm/Tesselation/

The idea was to extend a little bit STC with an Healpix frame and coords.
This is a relevant use case for both playing with the VO-DML model extension and fulfilling a real requirement.

Bye
Laurent

--
jesuischarlie/Tunis/Paris/Bruxelles/Berlin

Laurent Michel
SSC XMM-Newton
Tél : +33 (0)3 68 85 24 37
Fax : +33 (0)3 )3 68 85 24 32