purl, vocabularies and ivoa.net

nicolas moreau nicolas.moreau at obspm.fr
Wed Sep 27 15:59:33 CEST 2017

Hi Markus,

We have no objection against the use of fragment identifiers. However we
think is it necessary to keep the  purl subdomain.
It will be easier then to configure a redirection to the page were the
vocabularies are actually stored.

With the use of a fragment identifier, a typical identifier for a
concept would be :

http://purl.ivoa.net/theory/vocabulary#ConceptName

best regards

Le 26/09/2017 à 11:33, Markus Demleitner a écrit :
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 11:33:31AM +0200, nicolas moreau wrote:
>> We need to identify the concepts in our vocabulary.  To do so we
>> would like to use URIs as ID. The nice thing about doing that is we
>> can associate a representation (ex a SKOS XML subset, an HTML page,
>> a .txt file, ...) with an ID (in this case an URI), which can
>> change over time, while the ID remains unchanged.
>>
>> Since these URIs will be identifiers we want them to be permanent
>> and unique. Then we need a namespace in ivoa.net where to define
>> permanent URIs, to be used as identifiers.
>>
>> Adding a 'purl' segment to a path rooted inwww.ivoa.net  could be
>> used, sure, the problem is that www carries representation semantic
>> with it, that is HTML. We don't want the identifiers to be coupled
>> with representation details, such as HTML, or SKOS, rdf or
>> whatever. The 'purl' subdomain doesn???t carry much semantic with
>> it and seems a perfect abstract place (namespace) where to define
>> permanent URIs to be used as identifiers, IDs.
>>
>> So we propose:
>> purl.ivoa.net/theory/ConceptName<http://purl.ivoa.net/theory/ConceptName>
> The purl part I have no strong feelings about.  I think www.ivoa.net
> would work just as well, and it's what Datalink and Registry use, but
> if you're it's not a big deal.
>
> What I *would* like to see consistent within the VO is the use for
> fragment identifiers rather than paths.  For instance, a preview in
> datalink is
>
> http://www.ivoa.net/rdf/datalink/core#preview
>
> Why?
>
> (1) this resolves to an actual document where people can find out
> what preview is; in this particular document, there's no anchor yet,
> but it's trivial to make sure a browser actually goes to a document
> part containing preview's description.
>
> (2) it meshes nicely with content negotiations.  A client that wants
> to read turtle or RDF-X can just set an Accept header and will
> retrieve the vocabulary in its preferred format; the semantics of the
> fragment remains the same, even though the actual operations to
> retrieve the fragment are, of course, format-specific.
>
> (3) it also fits nicely with the vocabulary URI mechanisms in RDFa
> and friends (but ok, these would also work with paths).
>
> It's also reasonably easy to manage such vocabularies, keeping a
> historical record of previous versions of the vocabularies (Datalink
> and RegTAP already contain tooling to do that).
>
>          -- Markus

Nicolas Moreau,  Observatoire de Paris-Meudon-Nancay
LERMA 01 45 07 79 76 mail:nicolas.moreau at obspm.fr