purl, vocabularies and ivoa.net

nicolas moreau nicolas.moreau at obspm.fr
Mon Sep 25 11:33:31 CEST 2017

Dear semantics and theory,

Thank you very much for your feedbacks about our proposition of a way to
put theory vocabularies in the IVOA.

We would like to conclude on this topic.

In the discussions, two aspects have been mixed
1) the need to have URL on IVOA website to store vocabulary files (datalink, theory, etc …)
2) the need to have URI to define concepts.

Below we summarise the two points and propose solutions considering the discussions on the mailing list.

1. Storage of vocabulary files on the IVOA website
----------

That is where (and in which format) to store the vocabularies. The proposition from Mireille seems good, in addition it uses existing IVOA convention.

So, storing a representation of our vocabulary (say a rdf file) in ivoa.net/vocabularies/theory/skos/TheoryVocabulary-1.0-20160101.rdf
is fine.

If we were to add another representation format, we would just have to add it under a relevant segment instead of SKOS, for example JSON, XML or whatever.

2. Unique Identifiers

We need to identify the concepts in our vocabulary.  To do so we would like to use URIs as ID. The nice thing about doing that is we can associate a representation (ex a SKOS XML subset, an HTML page, a .txt file, ...) with an ID (in this case an URI), which can change over time, while the ID remains unchanged.

Since these URIs will be identifiers we want them to be permanent and unique. Then we need a namespace in ivoa.net where to define permanent URIs, to be used as identifiers.

Adding a 'purl' segment to a path rooted inwww.ivoa.net  could be used, sure, the problem is that www carries representation semantic with it, that is HTML. We don't want the identifiers to be coupled with representation details, such as HTML, or SKOS, rdf or whatever. The 'purl' subdomain doesn’t carry much semantic with it and seems a perfect abstract place (namespace) where to define permanent URIs to be used as identifiers, IDs.

So we propose: purl.ivoa.net/theory/ConceptName<http://purl.ivoa.net/theory/ConceptName>

Best regards.

Nicolas Moreau