Datalink vocabulary additions

Gray, Alasdair J G A.J.G.Gray at hw.ac.uk
Mon Jun 6 11:36:00 CEST 2016

Hi Markus,

You may also want to look at the approach being adopted in the Health Care and Life Sciences community that was developed as an extension to the DCAT and VoID vocabularies. The approach has no health care or life sciences specific details.
https://www.w3.org/TR/hcls-dataset/

The crucial aspect of the approach is that it is three tiered (see Section 5 of the above note): one for capturing the generic notion of a specific dataset, e.g. there is a dataset called Sloan Digital Sky Survey, which captures the time unchanging properties; next there are descriptions for each version of the dataset (versions 1 -12) which capture the version specific information such as when the version was released, who worked on it, etc; finally there are the distribution descriptions which describe the specific files and their formats.

Best regards,

Alasdair