Update of the IVOA UCD list incorporating items for planetary data

Mcglynn, Thomas A. (GSFC-6601) Thomas.A.McGlynn at nasa.gov
Fri Aug 29 07:14:25 PDT 2014

Just a tiny editorial comment.  I was amused by the first statement in
section 1.1 of the UCD draft, i.e.,
  "Abbreviations are kept to a minimum, and only if the result is not
ambiguous."
In practice abbreviations are used extensively and no apparent attempt
has been made to minimize their usage.  Not saying there should be, just
that the quoted statement is contrary to the actual practice.  E.g., 11
of the 12 top level atoms are abbreviations -- only 'time' is written in
full.  The EM bands are mostly abbreviated and there a bazillion
uses of MHz and GHz, and "det" for detector and "freq" for frequency,
"obsty" for observatory and "tel" for telescope, "bib" for
bibliographic, ....

I am not suggesting that UCDs be expanded, but that the statement I
mentioned above be elided.  We could just say
"Abbreviations are used in contexts where their meaning is unambiguous"
and not make any claim that that use is limited.

     Tom