Heidelberg sessions

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Tue Mar 5 06:21:12 PST 2013

Greetings, all.

Matthew Graham has posted a draft schedule for the Heidelberg Interop meeting <http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/InterOpMay2013>.  'Semantics' appears twice, once in a session by itself, opposite Apps I and DAL/Theory, and once in a joint session with DCP, on the Unified Astronomy Thesaurus.

1. If you'd like to present something at this meeting, please let me know reasonably soon.

2. I toyed with the idea of suggesting to Matthew that the semantics WG have zero dedicated sessions.  This is partly because most of the recent effort in the WG has been in collaboration with other WGs rather than originating within our group.  Thus a dedicated semantics sessions might look rather thin.

However such a suggestion is also compatible with the claim that semantics should not be ghettoised into its own (easily ignored) WG, but should be a part of other WGs, offering advice.

I'm therefore still somewhat inclined to tell Matthew to cancel the separate semantics WG -- though retaining the WG's slot in the opening plenary -- in order to make this point reasonably forcefully.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this point?

Best wishes,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk