VOUnits RFC

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Jul 30 07:58:19 PDT 2013

There is something else that bugs me about this issue and that
became apparent to me in a side conversation with Roy Williams:

There are two ways custom units can be (intended to be) used:

As a handy, well-known unit (handier than standard SI units) - like
solar mass, earth mass, speed of light, etc.
Or as a handy scalar whose exact value is not (yet) known - like
the Hubble constant.

So, in addition to the question what the scale factor is (or, more
precisely, how the custom unit is to be converted to SI units),
there is the question whether the author intended to use the custom
unit as an SI surrogate or whether (s)he merely wants to provide
a ratio (like: this planet's mass is 5.23 Jupiters and I don't care
what that is in kg).

This further muddies the waters and leads me to prefer that only
units from Norman's tables be allowed.
If that is not feasible, then creative units should be quoted and not
linked to SI units.
If that's not good enough, then we need an explicit mechanism to define
a custom unit in terms of allowed units, like 'H' = 75 km/s/Mpc

In rummaging around in the table I noticed that solar units are
included, but no corresponding geophysical ones, like earth mass
and radius.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA