VOUnits RFC

Marco Molinaro molinaro at oats.inaf.it
Tue Jul 30 00:19:56 PDT 2013

Hi Norman,
hi all,
thanks for the re-explanation & use-cases + alternatives to address them.

My preference goes for alt.(2) but I think we need a solution to get
MyWeight in both a machine- and human-readable form to be understood at
client level.
I suppose that the variability/calibration issue from Rob and the Arnold's
which-MyWeight and courtesy-units definition can be solved if we find it.

For example, in VOTable, using the LINK with a VO-Units specific
content-role, we can allow data publishers set a unit="myUnit" in
FIELDs/PARAMs/INFOs with direct LINK expanding the non standard unit. Best
practices or normative ways to state what response a call to this LINK
should have can find place in the VO-Units spec or somewhere else. I don't
go into more details because this is only one possible solution. I'm sure
there are other solutions to address this ["variable"-userdef-nonStd
myUnit] drawback of option 2.

I'm troubled however such a solution may rise more concerns:
- VOTable units no more only CDSunits (but non standard units will break it
anyway)
- flooding of custom units that are not easily contained by best practices
(please use custom units only if strictly necessary...will it work?)
- maintenance of the LINK (or other solution) support to custom units (but,
if I decide for a custom units I think I'm requested to maintain its
definition if I want my data to be understood)

Cheers,
    Marco