VOUnits RFC

Marco Molinaro molinaro at oats.inaf.it
Mon Jul 29 06:17:28 PDT 2013

Hi Norman, Markus, all,

2013/7/29 Markus Demleitner <msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de>

> Hi all,
>
> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 01:00:39PM +0100, Norman Gray wrote:
> > This conversation is not, I think, really about whether or not we
> > should permit non-round scale-factors (that's merely a minor edit
> > to the grammars), but I can't neatly characterise what it _is_
> > actually about.
>
> Well, in that case: Unless someone dislikes them very heavily, let's
> just allow arbitrary floats as prefixes, preferably in the standard
> floating-point literal form basically every programming language out
> there uses, shan't we?  Simple, quick, does the job, not network
> access required to parse units, and a very happy me.  Perfect!

I don't understand.
Norman says it's a minor edit.
Markus wish seems to be adding or changing the scale-factor with something
like CDSFLOAT (already allowed) with [e|E] instead of [10x].
Since scale-factor has already FLOAT and CDFLOAT in it I don't see the
problem.
Can you illuminate my poor mind?

Cheers
     another-Marco-pachyderm