SKOS concepts in VOTable

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Thu May 31 06:54:12 PDT 2012

Mark, hello.

On 2012 May 28, at 10:54, Mark Taylor wrote:

>> Solution 3 :
>> Use <LINK> subelements for <FIELD>.
>> PROs : already allowed in VOTable 1.2. URIs can be expressed in href="".
>> Possible to use content-type and content-role attributes to give additional
>> context. Possible to have multiple <LINK> for one <FIELD>.
>> CONs : not sure how parsers would handle this or how this can be used
>> in TAP...
>
> Since LINK is already present, and seems to be syntactically and
> semantically capable of doing what's required here, it looks to me
> like the best option.

This discussion has gone quiet -- perhaps this represents preliminary consensus.

Since VOTable 1.3 now appears to be on the cards, would it be useful for me to draft specific proposed replacement text for Section 3.5 (LINK Element) of the VOTable spec?

I would make basically the proposal in my email of 2012 May 28, unless Rick feels this doesn't adequately address his doubts.

A small extra thing occurred to me.  I would also suggest constraining link/@content-role elements to contain only roles described in the VOTable spec, with the exception of roles starting "x-", which can be prototyped freely.

I'll also suggest a @content-role value of 'seealso', which can point to any other documentation, machine- or human-readable, about the thing containing the link element.

All the best,

Norman

--