Agenda for DC&P session at Interop

Sebastien Derriere sebastien.derriere at astro.unistra.fr
Fri May 18 08:57:24 PDT 2012

On 05/18/2012 05:49 PM, Brian Thomas wrote:
> On Friday, May 18, 2012 11:01:00 AM Frederic V. Hessman wrote:
>
>  > The SKOS examples that the semantic group has considered has everything you want except
> antonyms.  Not obivous how useful antonyms will be for the IVOA:  what's the antonym of a
> galaxy or spectrum?  Well, radio-quiet QSO's are, in some sense, antonyms of radio-loud
> QSO's, but that's the only example I can think of off-hand and the oppositeness is pretty
> superficial.
>

> The antonym may be used to further distinguish terms which otherwise might look similar
> (particularly
>
> if you have underdescribed your topology/ontology, which is usually the case in an
> auto-generated
>
> scenario).
>

> That said, I agree they are not as useful to have as synonyms or hypernyms, and are much rarer
> to find in a dictionary (as you say, many terms dont have clear antonyms).

   Hello,

   I'm not convinced either about the usefulness of antonyms.
The "Disjoints" in an ontology can however be very useful in
providing definitions for concepts.

Sebastien

    (((    Sebastien Derriere     sebastien.derriere at astro.unistra.fr
   (. .)   Observatoire de Strasbourg       Phone +33 (0) 368 852 444
  (( v ))  11, rue de l'universite        Telefax +33 (0) 368 852 417
---m-m--- F-67000 Strasbourg  France