Fwd: SKOS concepts in VOTable

Frederic V.Hessman Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE
Fri Jun 1 00:01:53 PDT 2012

(an exchange which accidentally didn't make the list)

Dear Norman et al.,

I still think life would be easier if one knew exactly what to expect up front - say,

	- "type" means the link is meaningfully semantic is some sense, but you have to figure it out for yourself.
	- "rdf" means, well, RDF/SKOS/...
	- "doc" means the link leads to documentation
	- ...

or even Norman's new favorite, "seealso", meaning the link is somehow related (which sounds a bit like "random" to me, but grab bags can be fun).

These and other tags would tell you exactly what to expect (and hence whether your software should even bother to try to follow the link).  On the other hand, if everything was trivial, we'd put a lot of students and software engineers out of a job.

I can only re-iterate, that I'll ultimately buy whatever Norman says will work - but it would be nice to know that it is indeed going to work.    Let's go for <LINK> and haggle a bit more about the details.

Rick