Terminology of time

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Fri Jan 13 11:04:19 PST 2012

Howdy,

I thought it might be useful to bring the attached document to the attention of the "terminologists" of the IVOA.  The ITU Radiocommunication Assembly in Geneva next week will vote on something called the "Draft Revision to ITU-R Recommendation TF.460-6" which would have the effect of redefining Coordinated Universal Time without leap seconds (and therefore no longer a type of Universal Time).

As we debate issues of semantics and terminology in the IVOA we would be well advised to keep an eye out for pitfalls such as this.  Clarity and consensus of usage are key.

Comments welcome.

Rob