VOEvent References

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Mon Mar 21 08:44:09 PDT 2011

Steve, hello.

On 2011 Mar 21, at 14:43, Steve Allen wrote:

> On 2011 Mar 21, at 02:38, Norman Gray wrote:
>> There isn't such a vocabulary of MIME types, but there _is_ a MIME type for FITS (RFC 4047 <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4047.txt>), so that FITS and VOTable are both covered here (even though the VOTable type is still un-registered).
>
> RFC 4047 is duly vague about what a FITS file might be intended
> to do in anticipation that VO would eventually define that.

And properly vague, I think.

> The rules for MIME have been changed in a way that is
> supposed to allow organizations which produce international
> standards to get a top level type without the full hassle of
> running the RFC gauntlet, so the VO is in a position to get
> MIME types for things that need them.

I know of the 'vnd.' route, and have heard of some sort of MIME fast-track, but wasn't sure if these were the same thing.  Do you know of the relationship between them?

I have at various times tried to hint that the IVOA might want to claim the MIME type on its core data format, but no-one seems to think this would be useful, or shares the embarassment of x-votable+xml.  Perhaps it'd take some Virtual Organization or a Visual Objects table to shift us from our somnolence.

All the best,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk
School of Physics and Astronomy, University of Glasgow, UK