VOEvent References

Frederic V. Hessman Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE
Wed Mar 16 02:23:20 PDT 2011

Roy's low-level solution is fine as a VOEvent hack, but an equally
practical solution with the possibility of maintaining generality
RIGHT NOW is

<Reference type="ivoat:lightCurve" ucd="meta.code.url" uri="http://nesssi.cacr.caltech.edu/catalina/20110314/1103141070764142069p.html
">
	Light curve for the alert.
</Reference>

for which you simply have to check the type to understand very well.
Roy's example means knowing that the name "Light curve chart" is what
to look for, whereas looking for "ivoat:lightCurve" is just as easy
and perfectly general.  There are a very small number of vocabularies
which one could be looking for (here the IVOAT which, while not yet
official, DOES exist: see http://www.astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de/~hessman/rdf/IVOAT/dict/L.html
  and look for lightCurve).

I have added (or? haven't checked the new VOEvent schema) the ucd
attribute for VO-compatibility.  This could be the way to make the
"mime-sh" typing, e.g. by being able to use

	meta.code.xml
	meta.code.rtml
	meta.code.fits

but the other, better solution would be to be able to access

	type="ivoat:RTML"
	type="ivoat:FITSimage"

so that there is just one, simple, uniform means of identifying
content.  Roy's solution uses two XML constructs, 10 things to parse
and 195 characters, mine one XML construct, 8 things to parse, and 174
characters (well, one does nominally need a reference to the IVOAT
namespace, but I'm sure Roy could hard-wire this one).   ;-)

Of course, as soon as I get a little bit of input, we can have a
VOEvent vocabulary covering everything Roy could possibly dream of
needing in as compact a set of terms as possible.

Rick