Summary of VOEvent session

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Nov 16 13:47:59 PST 2009

>> Hey Rick - are you going to be at SPIE?
>
> Wasn't planning on it, but give me a good reason....

Conference AS107, Observatory Operations III, has a time domain focus
this time around.  We'll be chatting up both the VOEvent side and the
robotic telescope side, but especially engaging the large aperture
human-mediated observatories in a colloquy over time domain /
transient response / target-of-opportunity topics for just about the
first time.  (As well as the usual range of topics in the dozen other
conferences, "software and cyberinfrastructure", etc.)

Call for papers at http://spie.org/x13662.xml, abstracts due 14
December 2009.

> There was mucho confusion/arguments about just what Utypes are,
> aren't and should be.  Everything I heard made it sound as if they
> are just specialized vocabularies and Norman pointed out that a
> vocabulary namespace would enable everyone to agree on and have
> documentation for a common set more easily than creating things
> separately and then trying to match between attempts afterwards.

A radical idea...

Rob