utype questions

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Mon Jun 29 18:41:03 PDT 2009

Frederic Hessman wrote:
> Sorry to dig back into the utype question, but why isn't the use of
> multiple, translatable vocabularies a la SKOS the ideal (indeed only)
> solution?  Don't want user readability, don't want to enforce a single
> usage, don't need an ontology, don't want to restrict mixing and
> matching as long as I can match what's been mixed, just need a good
> label.   Or am I being naive and/or single-minded?
>
> Rick

Rick et al

Interesting thread you have started! So here is my 2 cents:

-- Utypes is a system for precise, formal descriptions of data
structures so computers can find them.

-- Vocabulary is a classification system that is often probabilistic in
usage (or should be).

So it is oil and water, no? Then the question is less about eliminating
the boundary between these ways of thinking, but rather what happens at
the boundary. Perhaps we can ask the question of how to link in each
direction.

The Utypes people might like to say that their quantity derives from
theoretical models of radio-quite AGN. They want to link to:
 http://eurovotech.org/objects-structure#RadioQuietAGN

The Vocabulary people might like to say that their idea of spectral
resolution is based on the IVOA spectral model, specifically they want
to link to Spectral.Resolution.RefVal

How can the two sides cite each other so that we can refer to technical
and semantic concepts from each side to the other? How I can use these
special words for my own purposes: if I can choose to go with Utype *or*
Vocabulary, which provides more services? How can I get a definition?

Cheers
Roy

--

California Institute of Technology