Schemas (and utypes)

Arnold Rots arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Jul 21 12:08:24 PDT 2009

Norman,

I see your point and it's not unreasonable. However, it all comes down
how much faith one has in members of the community to do things right.
I suspect I am less trusting and more cynical than you are - maybe
because I'm older and have seen more bad habits? Who knows...

In my judgment the attitude of "I know what I mean and so should you,
so I shouldn't have to spell it all out" is just too prevalent.

It took a while, but at this point people have pretty much accepted
the fact that if they exchange FITS files, they should include a
complete and valid WCS section. Why should we accept less?

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Norman Gray wrote:

> Arnold, hello.
>
> On 2009 Jul 2, at 16:51, Arnold Rots wrote:
>
> > You touch on one of the central issues that have made me very
> > uncomfortable with Utypes (but I assuem everyone is well aware that I
> > don't like them). See below.
>
> I've taken the liberty of adjusting the subject line here, partly (and
> _very_ importantly) in order to keep this separate from the ongoing
> what-is-a-utype discussion, but also because I believe your points
> touch on a larger and interesting issue to do with schemas in
> general.  By 'schemas' here, I mean RDBMS or XML Schemas (in RDF
> 'schema' means something different).
>
> >> This is presuming that ns:target.class isn't one of those utypes that
> >> only makes sense when it's coordinated with a set of other utypes
> >> from
> >> the same model (the goal 1 of utypes, as I understand it).  If it
> >> makes sense by itself, then that's excellent, it means that it's been
> >> artfully repurposed here, and an application can reliably/safely
> >> understand this bit of XML without necessarily having heard of the
> >> <whatisit> element before.
> >
> > This is the crux of the matter. A model never consists of a single
> > item. It is usually described by a set of information items (for lack
> > of a better term) that together convey the full meaning that the
> > author intends to convey.
>
> I agree with that to a pretty good approximation.  However, a key
> point in your remark is "the full meaning that the author intends to
> convey", to which we can add "the full meaning that the reader intends/
> hopes/aspires to extract", which may be very different.
>
> > The problem with Utypes is that it allows cherry picking of
> > information items with no guarantee that the information is complete,
> > or even makes sense. Consistency, completeness, and uniquenness have
> > been abandoned.
>
> You say "cherry picking", I say "loose coupling".  I want to argue
> that utypes, like simple schemas, do indeed "[allow] cherry picking of
> information items with no guarantee that the information is complete,
> or even makes sense", but that this is not a practical problem.
>
> I presume you're thinking of the consistency which the STC schema
> provides, by virtue of its _syntactical_ insistence that all the
> elements of a point's coordinates (for example) are included in a
> message.  I recall watching STC discussions on the virtues or vices of
> defaulting versus explicit 'not known' remarks, and as you know I'm
> aware of many of the complications of specifying astronomical
> coordinate systems.
>
> In the more-or-less loosely coupled network environment we're all
> talking about, which is too complicated for one-size-fits-all rules, I
> believe that this level of syntactical specification adds consistency
> at the expense of adding brittleness and unnecessary complication.
> That is because, ultimately, the schema doesn't add much value to the
> [...]
Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu