utype questions

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Thu Jul 2 08:45:35 PDT 2009

Doug, hello.

On 2009 Jun 30, at 01:50, Douglas Tody wrote:

> That would probably work within the context of the ontology and its
> tools.  What happens when the user inputs the string "quasar" or
> "agn"?  That is, how do we map user input to this URI;

This is a key point.  You can do this in a quick and dirty way by
simply searching through the labels in an ontology looking for the
string "quasar".  Doing a better job than that isn't trivial, but we
currently have a service which does that, available either through a
web page or as an XML-RPC service.  See <http://explicator.dcs.gla.ac.uk/WebVocabularyExplorer/
 > (thanks to Alasdair Gray for the initial version, and Stuart
Chalmers for keeping it going and developing it).  This, incidentally,
uses the vocabulary terms, rather than the CDS OAOT.

Such a service also lets an interface say 'You've mentioned AGN, do
you mean more specifically 'LINER" or Radio Loud/Quiet AGN?'  That is,
the goal here is to make the user experience better, and help the user
provide better metadata.

Looking at the relevant parts of the four Vocabularies document
vocabularies, I see links back and forth to quasar absorption/emission
lines, blazars, seyferts, BL Lac objects, compact nuclei, double
quasars, X-ray quasars, quasar microlensing, high/low states, and
more.  Having applications use all that is just a matter of imagination.

> can we defer
> this translation?.  Later when we want to review the data model and
> display the object classification to the user what do we do to get
> a simple string for display purposes? (e.g. in a table of objects).
> Is there any good reason to not defer the translation until the
> ontology tool is used?

I don't think there's a specific ontology tool being talked of.  The
application context might be a resource registration, or a pop-up in
VOExplorer, or any of a number of things.  And the reason we can't
defer it is that the user won't be there forever, and they're the only
entity that can help get from the world of strings into the world of
concepts.

All the best,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk
Dept Physics and Astronomy, University of Leicester, UK