utype questions

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Thu Jul 2 08:14:28 PDT 2009

Rob, hello.

On 2009 Jul 1, at 14:56, Rob Seaman wrote:

> Isn't the intended usage for utype something like:
>
> 	<whatisit utype="ns:target.class">whatitis</whatisit>
>
> When Doug says:
>
>> A major point of UTYPEs is to provide a simple, direct, and
>> *unique* way to specify the field of a specific data model.
>
> Isn't this in reference to the value of the utype attribute in the
> example above?

I think that here the utype ns:target.class is an item in a datamodel
(ontology of measurements) which indicates what role the <whatisit>
element is playing, and the value of this, the 'whatitis' is
potentially drawn from a _different_ ontology or vocabulary of
physical objects.  I agree that there's a potential issue about
legislating for this value, but believe that the lack of legislation
doesn't necessarily matter.

This is presuming that ns:target.class isn't one of those utypes that
only makes sense when it's coordinated with a set of other utypes from
the same model (the goal 1 of utypes, as I understand it).  If it
makes sense by itself, then that's excellent, it means that it's been
artfully repurposed here, and an application can reliably/safely
understand this bit of XML without necessarily having heard of the
<whatisit> element before.

Best wishes,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk
Dept Physics and Astronomy, University of Leicester, UK