Expressing position in RDF

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Oct 15 06:40:56 PDT 2008

ICRS = International Coral Reef Symposium
ICRS = International Christian Retail Show
ICRS = International Cartilage Repair Society
ICRS = International Cannabinoid Research Society
ICRS = International Celestial Reference System

"International" is a quaint adjective to attach to celestial
coordinates.  (I much prefer the chutzpah of "Universal" Time :-)
Presumably it was a placeholder for the International in IAU, this new
standard's momma organization.  ICRS is fixed with respect to the
ICRF, a grid of 608 VLBI (way distant) sources stationary in space and
orientation by construction.  See http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/ICRS_doc.php
  or Pat Wallace's paper from ADASS XVII.

Precession and nutation don't go away - the Earth still wobbles like a
top - but these effects don't appear in ICRS coordinates.  The Vernal
Equinox has been defined out of existence because ICRS is no longer an
equatorial coordinate system, unlike FK5 and all those J's, B's, etc.

The implications for the Art of Astronomy are still unclear.  Very
smart people, but too few engineers perhaps, were involved in defining
ICRS.  The net effect for the purposes of this virtual observatory
discussion appears to be to avoid the need to specify just one scalar
- the equinox.  All the other STC-like and non-STC issues persist.
Real observatories face issues like all their equatorial mount
telescopes turning into tilted alta-az telescopes :-)

Rob
---