Expressing position in RDF

Matthew Graham mjg at cacr.caltech.edu
Tue Oct 14 20:12:30 PDT 2008

Hi,

RDF is just like XML so questions of production, presentation and
storage are really quite secondary. It's the representation of
information that is the primary concern and the issue here is does the
IVOA have a succinct way of representing celestial positions in RDF.
As Ed, I think, said, RDF and ontologies are supposed to remove the
need for context to provide meaning to the information and so how the
RDF statement is used is also quite secondary. The statement means
what it says whatever.

SPARQL is the query language for RDF and is very SQL-like so an
inequality is just a constraint on the search predicate. The exact
syntax is dependent on how verbose the RA expression is.

I would not use a SPARQL query to do intersections, though - we have
STC and Footprint Services for that. There might an RDF statement that
a data object has a footprint associated with it and but then the
object will the URI for the footprint itself.

	Cheers,

	Matthew