Expressing position in RDF

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue Oct 14 06:53:33 PDT 2008

Matthew Graham wrote:

> Although this works, it is very verbose for such a simple (!)
> statement.

Actually, this is rather terse for your typical STC use case (which
this is).

> To sell this sort of stuff to end users, we really need a practical
> and succinct set of object properties

Practical and succinct are often at odds.  This is a corollary of
Gödel's theorem - by analogy, but likely also with mathematical rigor.

> that would allow me just to do:
>
> :MyObject a:rightAscension 134.556^^xsd:float
>
> After all anything observable in the sky has a RA.

There are several ways in which that assertion fails.  RA is always a
function of time - sometimes slowly varying, sometimes rapidly.  The
thing that "has a" RA is the combination of the observer and the
object.  Things that have an RA are also required to jointly have
other properties (Dec, type of coord system, an equinox for some of
these systems).

Further, not all "things" are negligible in extent, so an area
(footprint if you will) may need to be conveyed.  And the object
doesn't really "have" the RA in any event, but rather this is simply a
happenstance of the point of view (unlike, say, the temperature of a
star).  Which is all to say that this is a property of a detection
(i.e., in an instrumental catalog) rather than of an object (later
deduced from instrumental observations).

Consider, what is observable must be a physical process of some sort,
not a Platonic ideal of an astronomical object.  For example, if on
the surface of a planet or star, what is observable may periodically
vanish from view.  The observable may also involve interactions of
multiple objects.

In VOEvent-speak, <What> describes assertions about the object(s)
itself, but targeting coordinates in <WhereWhen> are assertions about
either a past or future, real or abstract, observation "on the" (set
of) objects.

Which is to say that Ed and I were trying to do you a favor by
simplifying it all to "object has a WCS" and "WCS has a RA" :-)

Another way to look at all this is simply E-R DB-style normalization.
You don't want to flatten the data structures too much.  Ultimately
only so much intrinsic complexity can be hidden from end users.

Rob