VOcabularies

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Sat Jan 19 08:35:42 PST 2008

Hola,

(That is to say "Hello", "Howdy", or "Aloha", while we're discussing
thesauri.)

For the benefit of the VOEvent WG, I've appended Norman's missive from
the Semantics WG regarding v0.02 of the document `Vocabularies in the
IVOA'.  As the doc says:

	"The purpose of this proposal is to establish a common format for the
grass-roots creation, publishing, use, and manipulation of
astronomical vocabularies within the Virtual Observatory, based upon
the W3C's SKOS standard."

The VOEvent WG is among the most tuberous of the semantic fescue and I
encourage VOEvent folks to give this document a close reading.

Norman asks:

	"Is it too optimistic to hope that this document might therefore go
to PR in Trieste?"

Not optimistic enough, I'd say.  Calling this a v0.02 draft is
absurd.  V0.02 is more mature than other standards that have already
been adopted, and the document is a textbook example of how such a
standard should be done.  One more round of internal comments from the
Semantics and VOEvent WGs should be sufficient, methinks.  We could
move it to PR within the next couple of months.

Good job!

- Rob
--

Begin forwarded message: