Multiple definitions

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Fri Feb 8 14:07:06 PST 2008

I think the discussion may benefit from explaining Rick's punchline.
Google "Abell 1656" and from the first item on the list we learn:

	"Abell 1656 is a massive aggregation of galaxies 400 million light
years distant."

...that is, not a comet at all.

The second Google item tells us that Abell 1656 is also known as the
Coma Cluster.  A few items further down, we learn that it is called
that because it resides in the constellation Coma Berenices.

The non-astronomers here perhaps will appreciate the explanation of
the confusion of terms, although I think only an astronomer would find
Rick's joke funny :-)  And at that, perhaps only someone previously
familiar with the Coma Cluster (http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1984BAAS...16..989S
).

Ed's suggestion for using altLabels seems very helpful to me.  There
is a level of context that will always be needed to interpret
astronomical usage and one could imagine bouncing around the altLabels
for a number of terms in some document (for instance, in a detailed
definition of some other term) to narrow in on the proper context.  I
presume this is how Google ranks its hits.  (And in case it wasn't
clear, I learned all this from the Google headings, without clicking
through to any source material.)

So yes - I support adding copious altLabels if SKOS permits this.  Is
this the anticipated usage for these fields?

Of course, there will come the inevitable discovery of a comet in Coma
Berenices, and that comet's coma may well be imaged by telescopes with
non-negligible optical coma.

Rob