On the impossibility of defining anything whatsoever (as Rob might have you believe) (Was: Re: New issue?: vocabulary maintenance

Ed Shaya eshaya at umd.edu
Thu Feb 7 07:12:11 PST 2008

It was a poor choice to use GRBs as an example because that is one of
the few astronomical objects for which we have acquired fundamental
understanding in the last decade plus it is complex because there is not
a unique cause for them.

> Brian Thomas wrote:

Speculation.  It is possible for there to be  more luminous events that
we are unaware of because they are more rare.  Can add "that we are
aware of at this time"

It is a bit misleading to continue to say they are seemingly random.
"They are known to be events occurring in galaxies.
Several of these with durations, at the event, of > 2 sec (long-duration
GRB) have been clearly linked to high mass supernova (hypernova).  The
leading candidate class for the shorter duration ones is neutron star
mergers."

Would change "pointed" to "beamed".
Actually the short duration bursts are not directional.
So, while I agree that in general one can cut and paste from Wikipedia
or some on-line open astronomical glossary, there are a few terms that
do need special care because of recent developments or technical
complexity.  I also would not underestimate the number of times a term
has multiple meanings.  That is unacceptable for us.

Ed