On the impossibility of defining anything whatsoever (as Rob might have you believe) (Was: Re: New issue?: vocabulary maintenance

Brian Thomas thomas at astro.umd.edu
Wed Feb 6 08:37:30 PST 2008

	Ah Rob,

	I knew as I was writting my email that you would respond and
	be positioned at the other side of the fence.

	Let me ask this simple question : if the definition of astronomy
	concepts (or the concepts of any field) are in general  impossible
	as you seem to indicate, then how do any text books get written?
	How does one write a dictionary? I note that these things exist,
	and are generally accepted without the public rushing in on the
	offending author(s) with Frankenstein rakes and burning torches.

	We are not looking for "complete" definitions, but rather, simple,
	workaday ones which will serve the purpose of general identification
	of a subject/concept. At risk of further falling into a trap you have
	laid for me, I'll try a simple definition of gamma ray burst from
	the wikipedia:

Gamma-ray bursts (GRBs) are the most luminous events occurring in the universe since the Big Bang.
They are flashes of gamma rays emanating from seemingly random places in deep space at random times.
The duration of a gamma-ray burst is typically a few seconds, but can range from a few milliseconds to
minutes, and the initial burst is usually followed by a longer-lived "afterglow" emitting at longer wavelengths
 (X-ray, ultraviolet, optical, infrared, and radio). Gamma-ray bursts are detected by orbiting satellites
about two to three times per week, but their actual rate of occurrence is much higher because not all
bursts are pointed at Earth.

	So...you would tell me that the above paragraph (easily obtained, I might add)
	is insufficient for a general definition of a GRB?!?

	I would like to further add that if some people argue with this definition..
	so what? They may start their own vocabulary, -or-, they may engage
	us to either fix the definition or to evolve the vocabulary. Either recourse seems
	reasonable to me, and perfectly practicable.

	Regards,

	=brian