Vocabularies and VOEvent

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Feb 4 15:46:50 PST 2008

Norman says:

> * Cost: you have to put "voevent:" in front of your KISS keywords in
> the VOEvent packet.

How about "voe" instead of "voevent"?

> Nope, just SKOS.

Any objections?  Going...going...going...

> I'm taking it that the application of all this to VOEvent will be to
> have very slightly magic strings in the 'why' position.

Also for describing <What>.  And I suspect Rick will slip it into RTML
for <How> at some point.

> But these technicalities are all about how one makes vocabularies
> robust no-brainers for the users, with the first representative of
> 'the users' being the VOEvent standard authors, and the subsequent
> developers who will use their standard.

Do you have any bridges for sale?

>> I worry that use of vocabularies will require knowledge of complex
>> matters like namespaces,
>
> Barely.

Having a protected voe namespace is a key requirement.  Otherwise
we'll get jerked around with every whim of the politburo.

>> (*) http://www.astronomerstelegram.org/
>> click on "Post a New Telegram", you see these categories:
>> Request for Observations, A Comment, AGN, Asteroids, Binaries,
>> Black Holes, Comets, Cosmic Rays, Cataclysmic Variables, Globular
>> Clusters, Gamma-Ray Bursts, Meteors, Microlensing Events, Neutron
>> Stars, Novae, Planets, Planets (minor), Pulsars, Quasars, Soft
>> Gamma-ray Repeaters, Solar System Objects, The Sun, Supernovae,
>> Supernova Remnants, Transients, Variables, Stars
>
> Delete the spaces, prefix a suitable URL and a '#' and bingo!,
> you've got your SKOS vocabulary.  Job done! (attached)
>
> Are you proposing this SKOS vocabulary for inclusion in the set of
> distributed vocabularies?  I could sling it in the repository just
> now.

Not quite, but soon.  Shall we identify a few pre-existing time domain
vocabularies and start rendering them down to a common voe list?
ATEL, GCN, CBAT, ...

I suggest we be prepared to support this common list as a default, but
also allow prior transient publishers to continue using their current
vocabularies when their telegrams/messages are instantiated as VOEvent
packets.

Rob