Beyond the draft proposal

Ed Shaya eshaya at umd.edu
Mon Feb 4 09:52:42 PST 2008

Rick,

    I have done a first cut of breaking up the IVOAT in the process of
creating an Ontology.  So far I have regrouped terms into namespaces:
astronomy, physics, chemistry, instrumentation, and "general" (which is
called IVOAO).  The general one has stuff that didn't fit elsewhere or
were words that are common English words.   I will soon put some of
these into math, (and a subset of math for geometry alone), and earth
science.  I put all of the spectroscopic terms into chemistry which
gives much credit to Analytical Chemistry and perhaps unfairly demotes
the role of physicsts in this, but it is simpler this way and not too
much should be read into the significance of a term being in one
namespace versus another.

The ontologies are at http://archive.astro.umd.edu/ont (which is a
redirect into the SVN repository at
http://archive.astro.umd.edu/ivoa-onto/src/main/resources/.
There is also an OWLDOC (HTML) version at
http://atlas.astro.umd.edu:8080/astro-onto/index.html, but it is not
always up to date with the latest SVN commit.

There is also a Mavin jar for the entire ontology.  Let me know if you
have any interest in that.

Ed