AOIM = AVM? VAMP contacts, anyone?

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 21 06:12:28 PDT 2008

Hi Rick,

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008, Frederic V. Hessman wrote:
> Do we have the most recent AOIM (apparently, now called "AVM", so we may need
> to change names) taxonomy?  What does IPTC/XMP look like?  If the VAMP people
> are putting a lot of effort into tools, do they use/know about SKOS?  I
> confess that I have no real personal ties to the people involved.  Anybody
> know any of the authors?

This document is being shepherded by the Registry Working Group (as
recommended by the IVOA Exec ~1 year ago).  A revised version of the Note
is available at http://www.virtualastronomy.org/AVM_DRAFTVersion1.1_02.pdf.
A slightly revised version, formatted as a working draft, is imminent; I'm
hoping to have it posted well in advance of Trieste.

While the document's profile has not been high in the IVOA to date, there
has been a lot of discussion amongst the outreach community, and the
authors are now interested in shifting more effort into the development of
applications that use this standard.  Consequently, this is a fairly
advanced document.

I don't think the authors are aware of the semantics WG use of SKOS, but
it would be good to get some informative dialogue going.  The authors are
not, what we might call, "IVOA insiders".  They are, however, active in
the astronomy outreach community, and their document is highly focused in
its intent and target community.

I'll be setting up a twiki page under the Registry area to assemble
discussion of the VAMP document and report on activities as development
continues.  Meanwhile, it would be great to hear from anyone that has an
interest in the VAMP document and development.  In particular, I would be
interested to hear how VAMP and the semantics work relate to each other.

cheers,
Ray