Vocabularies in Trieste, and the route to PR

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Fri Apr 4 05:58:04 PDT 2008

Greetings, all.

Do we know what we plan to achieve as regards the Vocabularies
document, in Trieste?  Specifically, are we planning or hoping to
promote it from a WD[1] to PR?

Section 2.1 of the document standards document[2] says:

> After a suitable review and trial period, the chair of the Working
> Group may promote the Working Draft to a Proposed Recommendation.
> Such advancement should occur only when the chair of the Working
> Group is satisfied that consensus has been reached, and more formal
> and extensive review is now warranted.  Advancement to Proposed
> Recommendation implies:
> 1.      The Working Group has fulfilled the relevant requirements of
> the Working Group charter and those of any accompanying requirements
> documents.

I believe this is satisfied.  The charter[3] mentions the production
of an 'IVOA Standard Vocabulary' and 'Exploration of Ontologies' as
core activities.  This doesn't directly mention the vocabularies work
as such, but the former is enabled by it (and the vocabularies
document was prompted by an first version of such a standard
vocabulary, in autumn last year).  Myself, I would take 'Exploration
of Ontologies' to include the whole range of RDF technologies and
opportunities, as well as those activities specifically related to
Ontologies/OWL.

> 2.      The Working Group has formally addressed issues raised
> during the development and review process (possibly modifying the
> technical report).

There was a substantial amount of on-list discussion before the
document became a WD, so we're probably ahead here, if not quite at
the stage of achieving consensus.  But more comments, and discussion
of the existing open issues, would be welcome.

> 3.      The Working Group has reported all formal objections.

I'm not sure how 'formal objections' are lodged.  Anyone?

> 4.      Each feature of the technical report has been implemented.
> Preferably, the Working Group should be able to demonstrate two
> interoperable implementations of each feature. If the chair of the
> Working Group believes that broader review is critical, the chair
> may advance the document to Proposed Recommendation even without
> adequate implementation experience.  In this case, the document
> status section should indicate why the chair promoted the document
> directly to Proposed Recommendation.

It's not obvious what constitutes an 'implementation' of the work the
document describes.  Certainly the five SKOS vocabularies that will be
distributed with the document could count as implementations.
Alasdair Gray has been working on a vocabulary explorer and a mapping
editor, and I've been looking at vocabularies in other contexts (which
I can post about here when they're a little more complete), so those
seem to be second-order implementations.  I think we're fairly safe on
this aspect.

Should we adopt 'PR in Trieste' as a goal?

All the best,

Norman

[1] http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/latest/vocabularies.html
[2] http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/latest/DocStd.html
[3] http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/IvoaUCD/Charter-Semantics.pdf

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk
eurovotech.org  :  University of Leicester