Vocab AND Ontology?

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Mon Sep 24 03:46:29 PDT 2007

Thanks for the response, Andrea. I'll clarify what I was aiming for. This
was to work only on an SV: the first draft so that the wg can confirm that
the 'OWL with derived SKOS etc' approach will work; subsequent drafts up to
the next interop to allow people to build applications for the SV and
experiment with extending the OWL-based SV into an ontology. It is not
mandatory that WDs proceed to REC. If, at the next interop, the wg decides
that only the ontology will be developed and any SV will always be a derived
entity (so the REC document only relates to the ontology and how to derive
vocabs), then the SV drafts will be abandoned/changed and an ontology draft
begun. Or it could be that both formats are wanted to be developed in
parallel, as you suggest. Or some other solution entirely: I just wanted to
get some trial developments out so people could work with them.

> final goals in terms of IVOA Recs.  If we agree that what we need is

I hope the above clarifies that point: the only immediate goal is the next
interop and SV drafts in the leadup to that. We'll set 'final' goals then.

> Second. It is clear from the discussion that the approach proposed in
> the draft is not convincing the majority of the active members of the
> WG. I'm not referring here to the format (XML or other) but to the
> content of the SV: tokens to be assembled in an UCD-like way to
> express astronomical concepts.

I think that is right. That is why I suggested the parallel discussions on
those points but based on the understanding that concepts will be OWL items
from which SV terms can be derived using a small number of relationships.
But there is still more to discuss, I think.

> we whould probably want to formalize this first step within the IVOA.

As I said above, I think it is a little too soon to formalise anything. The
IVOA as a whole can know that we are working on an OWL-based SV from which a
SKOS-based vocabulary will be derived and that drafts will be made available
as soon as possible for people to work on but that a final decision on
formats will be made at the next interop. I'm pretty sure this will be
agreeable to the TCG.

T.