SV and Thesaurus - decide

Andrea Preite Martinez andrea.preitemartinez at iasf-roma.inaf.it
Thu Sep 20 02:51:01 PDT 2007

I think the subject of this discussion is becoming clearer: at the
beginning I had the impression that we were watching different movies!
:-)

Movie A is the SV as proposed in the draft paper. It is a (proposed)
collection of standard, centrally defined and maintained list of
tokens that allows to express any possible astronomical term, locally
defined.
It is not specifically meant for humans, but human readable.
There is no associated ontological structure.
A simple basic grammar allows putting together SV tokens to express
complex concepts or concatenation of concepts.
It is not particularly devised to be a component of the user I/F of a
searching tool, to help a user to refine his search.

Movie B is intended as *the* standard list of astronomical terms,
centrally defined and maintained.
It is (also) meant for humans.
Its use within the VO needs to be clarified.
Under discussion is the degree of ontological information to associate
to the terms of such list.
The starting point to build it can be the old IAU Thesaurus. Much
longer than Movie A, but size is not a problem.(see note below)

Movie A (the SV) is in the editing phase.
For Movie B (the Thesaurus) we need a script and a producer.
Well, enough with the movie metaphor!

I call for a decision on the SV draft.
After reading it, please post your opinion (possibly by the end of the
september):

- YES, we can go on discussing/commenting/editing it, with the
ultimate goal to define an IVOA SV standard.
- NO, let's stop wasting our time on the SV.

There are no other options as far as the SV is concerned.

The two topics are well separated: whichever decision we assume for
the IVOA SV will not prevent us from deciding to start working on the
IVOA Thesaurus. Actually, we did start already!!

Andrea

Note:
What could become a size-problem for Movie B is related to the
definition of the minimum level of semantic difference between two
terms of the list. By convention a B star is considered different from
an F star. Is a pulsating B star different from a B star? Only users
can decide. Has the term pulsating B star ever being used by
astronomers? Yes: then the term is embarked, No, the term is
discarded. But also fast pulsating B star has been used. Should we
embark it? How many level of qualifiers/modifiers should we allow?

Andrea Preite Martinez                 andrea.preitemartinez at iasf-roma.inaf.it
IASF                                   Tel.IASF:+39.06.4993.4641
Via del Fosso del Cavaliere 100        Tel.CDS :+33.3.90242452
I-00133 Roma                           Cell.   :+39.320.43.15.383
                                        Skype   :andrea.preite.martinez