Derive SV from the IAU Thesaurus : (Was: Re: SV: do we need it?

Frederic V. Hessman hessman at astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de
Wed Sep 19 10:01:10 PDT 2007

> 	Hmm. I should have raised this before, but what about the IAU
> 	Thesaurus? Even if its not supported since mid-90's its pretty
> 	comprehensive. It even has some files available online from which
> 	the project may be jump-started.
> 	So.. with these machine parse-able text files available, which
> seem to supply
> 	both multilingual aliases, and hierarchy of terms, and the bonus
> of this being
> 	as 'official' a source as one might hope to encounter, I would
> find it a difficult
> 	argument to NOT use this.

The main objection to avid adoption to date has been (at least my
understanding)
	- not supported so many terms missing or out-of-date
	- explicit ontological organization (this is a boon or a bane,
depending upon your inclination)
	- translations available but not descriptions (it's a thesaurus, not
a dictionary)

> 	Perhaps there are too many terms? In this case then, why not
> simply cherry
> 	pick terms? Clearly additional terms which have come into use since
> 	the last publication are going to be needed, alongside some
> bridging terms,
> 	but you can hardly go wrong with using this source, and I would urge
> 	not (re-)inventing stuff that is already in there. Perhaps the
> work in the
> 	recent draft is already based on the Thesaurus (mea culpa: I
> haven't had
> 	time to read it), kudos if this is the case.

Then a few (but not too many) kudos are due :-)

> 	I also want to  add that while machine-understandability is the
> definite
> 	goal of such a dictionary, it should also have human-readable
> definitions
> 	for the terms embedded in the document. Without this kind of
> 	'self-documentation' you eventually get into problems of what the
> 	original meaning of the term was supposed to be (some terms
> 	will be ambiguous). Again, the IAU thesaurus is invaluable here,
> as it
> 	already supplies these definitions, and it might be enough to put in
> 	an annotation pointing to that term in the published work.

There are no definitions, just translations of the labels.  Free
multi-linguality is cute, but not really the point right now.

The amount of NT's and BT's in the  thesaurus is a reasonable model
of the level of detail I'd like to see in the vocabularies - just
enough to make things useful but so very little that one isn't
tempted to declare it a real ontology.  Rather less would be just right.

Rick

Dr. Frederic V. Hessman     Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE
Institut für Astrophysik          Tel.  +49-551-39-5052
Friedrich-Hund-Platz 1         Fax +49-551-39-5043
37077 Goettingen                 Room F04-133
http://www.Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.de/~hessman
MONET: a MOnitoring NEtwork of Telescopes
http://monet.Uni-Goettingen.de