SV: do we need it?

Frederic V. Hessman Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE
Wed Sep 19 07:56:23 PDT 2007

> Are applications likely to use the SV directly or via, say, data
> models. I can see a data model item having a pointer to the term/
> concept that it refers to in the SV and apps using that to present
> a definition to the user, but would any apps be likely to access
> the SV directly?
I sure hope so.   Most astronomers aren't directly interested in
theoretical ontology studies but labeling, searching, identifying in
human understandable terms.    No, they shouldn't see
"star.variable.cataclysmicVariable" if they are more happy with "CV",
but the app will have to decide what human layer is appropriate and
pass the invisible token off to it's computer colleagues.

> > underscores (eg gamma_ray) will turn out to be a terrible choice and
> > maybe camelback (eg GammaRay) is even worse (probably it doesn't
>
> If the terms in the SV are URIs, say http://ivoa.net/SV/
> cosmicBackground (to use the format from Andrea's document), then
> they can remain the same while the terms they reference, ie
> everything a user will be shown, can change. In which case the
> decision over format is ours.
>
> I would argue against the SV containing any structure though, so
> use cosmicBackground and not cosmology.cosmicBackground.
As stated in the draft working draft, the suggested ontological
structure was purposefully and only used to make the creation of the
list of tokens more manageble for humans.  Got a new token?  It's
easier to go to the "cosmology" group (whatever the group represents)
and look to see if it's already there than to go looking for all
possible equivalents:

cosmeticDefects
cosmicBackground
costEstimate

If the tokens are bare-bones, then we have to be careful to have good
thesaurus tools which insure that we don't accidentally double or
triple the entries, thereby making the vocabulary useless.

> No, broader and narrower are relationships: so you would record the
> relationship that SeyfertGalaxy is a narrowing of the term, Galaxy.
> Certainly we would want to record both terms, but do we want to
> record the realtionships? And, to start with, I'd say no. The above
> relationship is probably a safe bet but many (and I'm thinking of
> perhaps cosmology -> cosmicBackground) are less certain or more
> problematic, so would reckon that we skip all relationships at the
> beginning.
>
> We might even, later, decide that we'd rather use OWL or similar to
> record relationships rather than SKOS.
If the fundamental purpose of the vocabulary is to provide tokens,
then one doesn't need any further info than the token, the labels,
and the definition.   However, it will be very nice for apps to be
given a minimum set of un-official ontological hints that formally
don't constitute a real ontology but sure would be handy.   Assume
you're writing an query interface and your clients want to ask about
observations of various galaxies: the SV et al. could immediately
give you a handy, official, standardized list of types of galaxies
all prepared and ready to go - but only if the computer can figure
out which tokens might have anything to do with galaxies.   Do we
really want to wait for the ultimate ontology in order to do this
trivial task?

Rick

Dr. Frederic V. Hessman     Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE
Institut für Astrophysik          Tel.  +49-551-39-5052
Friedrich-Hund-Platz 1         Fax +49-551-39-5043
37077 Goettingen                 Room F04-133
http://www.Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.de/~hessman
MONET: a MOnitoring NEtwork of Telescopes
http://monet.Uni-Goettingen.de