SV: do we need it?

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Tue Sep 18 06:46:05 PDT 2007

I'm still not clear how the SV might be used.

> The SV - as its smaller brother UCD - is not meant "directly" for
> astronomers, but to make the VO more inter-operable, exactly as the
> UCDs.

So, will the SV encompass all the UCDs (what might be implied by 'smaller
brother'? And in what way will the interoperability be improved? Where will
SV terms be used that will make two applications work better together?

I can see that the use of standard naming will make searches easier if, say,
datasets are restricted to the SV in keyword, subject etc fields. But this
isn't really an interop issue.

> interoperable not only "quantities" using UCDs, but object types,
> phenomena, instruments, simulations, etc.

I'm wondering what astronomical terms would not be included in the SV?

T.