Vocab format

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Sat Sep 15 04:10:31 PDT 2007

Doug, hello.

On 2007 Sep 15, at 03:55, Doug Tody wrote:

> But when we
> search for data for analysis we might be interested in all "Galaxy"
> type objects.  If this is what is meant by broader/narrower type
> relationships, then it is a requirement for this to be useful.

It is.  The broader/narrower relation in SKOS and similar contexts is
specifically related to retrieval, with the relationship between the
thus-annotated terms being that any item retrieved via the narrower
term _should_ (as I understand it, this is not as strong as _must_)
be one of the items retrieved via the broader term.

Thus 'bank' is a broader term than 'bank account', even though it is
obviously not the case that a 'bank account' is a more specific type
of 'bank' -- this is not the logical subClassOf relationship, and I
think it's not even necessarily a partOf relationship.

We can be collectively reassured, therefore, that using SKOS would
not deprive us of things to argue about.

Best wishes,

Norman