Vocab format

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Fri Sep 14 13:38:09 PDT 2007

> 	Im not sure I follow the question. Do you mean we don't want to
> create a 'Galaxy' term
> 	because there are various kinds of Galaxy, and thats too broad?
> I'd disagree with that.

No, broader and narrower are relationships: so you would record the relationship that SeyfertGalaxy is a narrowing of the term, Galaxy. Certainly we would want to record both terms, but do we want to record the realtionships? And, to start with, I'd say no. The above relationship is probably a safe bet but many (and I'm thinking of perhaps cosmology -> cosmicBackground) are less certain or more problematic, so would reckon that we skip all relationships at the beginning.

We might even, later, decide that we'd rather use OWL or similar to record relationships rather than SKOS.

T.