Vocabulary: Ontology

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue Sep 11 14:06:48 PDT 2007

On Sep 11, 2007, at 1:11 PM, Tony Linde wrote:

> I'd turn it around (more forceful rephrasing of Matthew's) so that
> the VO
> should always use existing standards unless there is a really good
> reason to
> invent its own.

Is this really a frequent problem?  The status quo doesn't need to be
artificially emphasized.  All the issues of performance, cost,
schedule and risk apply to alternative technologies.  A thumb on the
scale of a trade-off study seems bad whatever side of the scale.

Rather, shouldn't the VO be seeking creative technologies whether old
or new?  An argument for RDF surely should begin by emphasizing how
sexy an option it is.

Rob