Vocabulary: Ontology

Bernard Vatant bernard.vatant at mondeca.com
Tue Sep 11 11:23:34 PDT 2007

Hi Rob

> Bernard Vatant wrote:
>> Go to http://dbpedia.openlinksw.com:8890/sparql
>
> Now we're getting somewhere.  (I presume we're not to critique the
> user interface here :-)
Indeed ... actually this kind of endpoint is rather intended for
machines sending queries under the hood than for humans.
>> All the point now is : Do you care for IVOA data to be
>> merged/compared or otherwise linked to such public data? Or not?
>
> I think the answer to this specific question is "not". Rather, if a
> case is to be made for this technology it will be based on whether
> non-VO facilities are "to be merged/compared or otherwise linked" to
> IVOA data.
You mean that IVOA data/identifiers should stand as "professional"
references in their domain, and other data about the "same" objects
should re-use those identifiers, right? In other words it would be up to
http://dbpedia.org/page/Denebola to use IVOA identifiers than the other
way round. Of course it makes more sense this way.
> Google sky is the proof of concept.
Well, not sure about that. Google will suck your data as soon as they
are published whatever their format and quality, and manage to add them
*using their own format* to Google sky if they wish to do so. Don't
worry about them. They don't care about declared semantics, they think
their own algorithms and heuristics are more powerful. The problem is
that they are not open. Even if your data are reused by Google sky, you
will never know how.
I would say linking to Wikipedia (through DBpedia) would be a proof of
concept. Or as said above the other way round, for DBpedia to be able to
link to IVOA.

No?

Bernard

--