Theoretical Data UCD Proposal

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Oct 24 10:13:50 PDT 2007

On Oct 24, 2007, at 7:45 AM, Brian Thomas wrote:

> On Wednesday 24 October 2007, Frederic V. Hessman wrote:
>
>>         IVOAT:stellarobjects            "stellar objects"
>
> OK, I'm not a theorist, but isn't that already handled by
> IVOAT:star (??).
> Do we want to start getting in the business of aliased terms (beyond
> what already exist in the IAU Thesaurus)?

I would have thought that an ontologist would dote on splitting such
hairs - well, not hairs precisely for objects in the range of 10^30
kg, but you get the idea :-)

A star is like a planet in that we all want it to have a detailed
definition, even if we disagree on those details.  For most of us,
however, a star's energy budget includes nuclear reactions.  By such
a definition, compact post-nuclear residue such as white dwarfs and
neutron "stars" may be stellar objects, but are not stars.  Stellar
objects in the 1 Msun range begin life as stars.  (I would think
coalescing nebulae are not yet stellar objects.)  Objects in the
10^-3 Msun range aren't stellar at all, but rather planets (whatever
the heck that means).  Brown dwarfs would likely be considered
stellar objects, but not stars.  Black holes are neither.  (A stellar
object, like a quasi-stellar object, probably has to emit EM
radiation.)  One would think stellar objects are subclassed from
compact objects, and stars are subclassed from stellar objects.

Or maybe Rick meant something entirely different.  His fundamental
point was that for his purposes such a distinction might make sense.
For yours, perhaps not.

If we don't want to recognize aliases, perhaps we should have no
interest in the IAU Thesaurus.

- Rob