Theoretical Data UCD Proposal

Andrea Preite Martinez andrea.preitemartinez at iasf-roma.inaf.it
Wed Oct 24 07:14:13 PDT 2007

> This is a great example of where the centralized UCD approach is going
> to fail miserably - the IVOA can't possible agree to have a universal
> token for
>
> 	phys.radius.rhocritic.2500
>
> I'm definitely not saying that the theory community doesn't need this
> token, I'm just saying that it shouldn't be the business of a
> centralized IVOA committe to make that decision.

The problem here is not the centralized UCD approach, but (as I said
to the Thoery IG in Victoria) that most of what they need to describe
is metadata (or tags for their models).
If the "proposed UCD" is not metadata (i.e., if it is the description
of the result of the calculation, equivalent to a physical quantity
resulting from an observation) then the "proposed UCD" can become an
UCD.

For the rest, they are just building their own vocabulary, like other
communities... and we can help SKOSify it!

Andrea

PS: how is your knee, Rick?

Andrea Preite Martinez                 andrea.preitemartinez at iasf-roma.inaf.it
IASF                                   Tel.IASF:+39.06.4993.4641
Via del Fosso del Cavaliere 100        Tel.CDS :+33.3.90242452
I-00133 Roma                           Cell.   :+39.320.43.15.383
                                        Skype   :andrea.preite.martinez