Vocab AND Ontology?

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Oct 10 16:55:54 PDT 2007

Hi Ed,

I don't want to get too metaphysical, but that is literally the
discussion we're having - talking about talking about physical reality.

> It is a list of terms used by astronomers in astronomy and
> point_source is about as commonly used as they get (except for
> maybe "galaxy" and "star")

This project has turned into a mosh pit for any and all terms an
astronomer might use.  The VOEvent discussion about "concepts"
started much more narrowly.  A VOEvent packet is intended to describe
an event on the celestial sphere (or on the disk of the Sun or other
astro neighborhoods) with the intent of supporting a structured
conversation involving hypotheses about assertions of inferences
regarding the "true" nature of the objects and processes involved.
The first part of that deals with ideas like "point sources".  The
second part involves things like "stars".

Rob