IAU thesaurus in RDF (an update)

Alasdair Gray agray at dcs.gla.ac.uk
Wed Oct 10 02:55:59 PDT 2007

The issue of using singular or plural terms is not a trivial one and one which we should consider carefully. The major issue to consider is what are the terms in the vocabulary going to be used for? If they are merely going to be used for tagging an object then singular is fine. However, if they are going to be used for searching for objects then plural terms should be used as this is the mind set of a searcher.

Section 7.2 of L Willpower, Thesaurus principles and practice http://willpowerinfo.co.uk/thesprin.htm#7.2:Singular is worth a read on this subject. Also note that the British Standard for thesaurus construction recommends that plural terms should be used.

Cheers,

Alasdair

Alasdair J G Gray <http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~agray/>

Research Associate: Explicator Project