Or in N3

Ed Shaya eshaya at umd.edu
Tue Oct 9 11:05:48 PDT 2007

I thought I would have another look at how to say "or" with N3.
Earlier, I had suggested using {statementA} or {statementB}. But if you
want to say source is a ClassA or a ClassB, it can be done with just a
union.  So, if we want to say Type_1a or Type_1b supernova, we could say:

:SNIa_OR_Ib a owl:Class ;
    owl:unionOf (ivo:Type_Ia_supernova ivo:Type_Ib_supernova).

The carriage returns are not important.
If this sort of confusion is common in the early observations of a
supernova, then this could become part of the voevent ontology.

Then for a particular supernova:

:SN2009k a :SNIa_OR_1b, :point_source .

Which says SN2009k is a Type_Ia_supernova or a Type_Ib_supernova and a
point source.

Of course, one could create the unionOf on the fly (anonymously)

:SN2009k a owl:unionOf (ivo:Type_Ia_supernova ivo:Type_Ib_supernova),
:point_source.

Ed