IAU thesaurus in RDF (an update)

Frederic V. Hessman Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE
Fri Oct 5 09:14:16 PDT 2007

On 5 Oct 2007, at 5:42 pm, Arnold Rots wrote:

> This hit a nerve: the 21 cm hyperfine line of neutral atomic hydrogen
> is NOT a recombination line.

Oops!   Fortunately, this is an IAU error, not mine (though you'd
think I might have caught it).  I replaced the BT with a RT
radio_frequencies.

On 5 Oct 2007, at 5:44 pm, Douglas Burke wrote:

> In your version "IAU/IVOA Thesaurus - Version Fri Oct  5 15:27:30
> 2007", which has the xml:base line added, I think you want to keep
> the "#" character before all the resource names - so that you have
>
>   <skos:hasTopConcept rdf:resource="#53_Persei_stars"/>
>   <skos:hasTopConcept rdf:resource="#aberration"/>
>
>   <skos:Concept rdf:about="#53_Persei_stars">
>
> etc. This is so that you refer to
>
> http://www.Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE/~hessman/rdf/
> IAU#53_Persei_stars
>
> (or IAU:53_Persei_stars).

Yup - forgot the # all right.   Corrected: now looks like

	<skos:Concept rdf:about="#53_Persei_stars">
		<skos:inScheme rdf:resource=""/>
		<skos:prefLabel>53 Persei stars</skos:prefLabel>
		<skos:broader rdf:resource="#B_stars"/>
		<skos:broader rdf:resource="#pulsating_variable_stars"/>
		<skos:definition>53 Persei stars</skos:definition>
	</skos:Concept>

> B)
>
> A couple of terms have spaces in them which should probably be
> converted to "_"

Got those too.   In the meanwhile, I've found various capitalization
errors and stuck in some missing stuff for galaxy rotation curves
(e.g. "Navarro-Frenk-White_profiles" anybody?).

Thanks for the corrections.   Please keep them coming so that we can
get this finished as a reasonable and reasonably complete (for our
intial purposes only, of course) suggestion.

Douglas implicitly raises a good point: the text file isn't much
simpler than n3 and n3 is a lot less verbose than SKOS/OWL - should
the IVOA suggest vocabularies are published in n3?

Rick

Dr. Frederic V. Hessman     Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE
Institut für Astrophysik          Tel.  +49-551-39-5052
Friedrich-Hund-Platz 1         Fax +49-551-39-5043
37077 Goettingen                 Room F04-133
http://www.Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.de/~hessman
MONET: a MOnitoring NEtwork of Telescopes
http://monet.Uni-Goettingen.de