Vocab AND Ontology?

Frederic V. Hessman Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE
Thu Oct 4 03:13:40 PDT 2007

Just in case you have been wondering whether the Vocab/ontology
discussion has petered out, here's my contribution to a concrete
proposal.   Following Norman's re-formatting of the A&A and AOIM
vocabularies into SKOS, a completely re-furbished version of the IAU
thesaurus can be perused at

		http://www.Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE/~hessman/rdf

including

	- a totally reworked, tentatively normative text file, including
corrections, considerable reduction in the number of tokens (via
aliases), re-writing the original upper case tokens in useable format
(including capitalization of names, correct use of hyphens);
	- a SKOS file containing the thesaurus (should be formally useable);
and
	- simple HTML documentation (token list, alias list, dictionary with
comments about major revisions) to make perusal of the contents more
bearable.

Yes, the IAU thesaurus is larger than we'd prefer and contains lots
of historical baggage (no, we don't need a token for Ramsden
eyepieces), but it's there, is official, was "easily" extended to
include more modern concepts (e.g. Type Ia supernovae weren't quite
as important in the 80's and so were left out!) and could just as
easily be extended to cover the other things needed by, e.g., VOEvent.

I'm sure we could agree on a better text format to conform to
standard ontology usage, but everything should be self-explanatory.

Enjoy!

Rick

Dr. Frederic V. Hessman     Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE
Institut für Astrophysik          Tel.  +49-551-39-5052
Friedrich-Hund-Platz 1         Fax +49-551-39-5043
37077 Goettingen                 Room F04-133
http://www.Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.de/~hessman
MONET: a MOnitoring NEtwork of Telescopes
http://monet.Uni-Goettingen.de