SKOS vs OWL

Ed Shaya eshaya at umd.edu
Mon Oct 1 12:21:19 PDT 2007

Norman,
	The proof of the pudding is in the eating.  You are right that skos
treats the terms as instances and that does not mesh great with
normal ontologies.  But that does not mean that a skos/owl presents
any difficulties or confusions once you see one.  So, I looked around
for a skos file and found this BLOG Housekeeping
"http://norman.walsh.name/knows/taxonomy" and I converted it to
OWL. I admit that I did most of it in vim, but I used Protege and
WonderWeb to check validity.  Since the terms are Individuals
the only new owl:Class is Topic which I made a subclass of Concept.  It
seems to me that this should have been explicit in the skos as well, but
it was not.  You can compare, except for some Walsh icons and anchors,
this pretty well faithfully reproduces the skos.   There were three or
so terms Application, IndexTerm, and LinkGroup which were rdfs:Class.  I
could have just made these owl:Class, but I thought they were also
instances of Concept so I did that. The point here is that now you can
use OWL tools as RDF editors for skos.  Since this is mostly Instances,
then one may want to Configure to have the InstanceTree tab.

All of this disregards my actual feelings on this.  And that is that
we should really be interested in advancing automated search and
automated search needs to know true subclassing.  If I search for
a spiral galaxy, the machine needs to know that an Sa galaxy is
acceptable and a spiral arm is not.  In skos they are both just narrower.

Ed