Vocabularies: next steps

Frederic V. Hessman hessman at astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de
Mon Nov 26 08:02:13 PST 2007

> The outstanding issues appear to be:
>
> The format of the concept labels (case and character set)
Careful!

Namespace labels (e.g. http:www.ivoa.net/thesauri/IVOAT#21CmLine):

	Case:
MixedCapitalizationByOnlyRemovingNonAlphabeticAndNumericCharactersSoThat
MercuryWillWorkTwiceButOtherwiseVerySimpleToImplement

	Set: a-Z, 0-9

prefLabels (e.g. "21-cm line"):

	Whatever is used by whoever does it.  E.g. IAU93 and AOIM have
spaces and things.

The namespace label format should be an IVOA recommendation/standard!

> The grammatical number of the concept names (singular or plural)
Singular, please! - it's a real pain to use the formal system of
singular concepts and plural countables and I agree that singular
should make the vocabulary simple to use

> The number of top concepts in the IAU thesaurus

Huh?  The IAU thesaurus is the IAU thesaurus.  If "top concepts" are
defined either as 1) not having a BT or 2) having a NT, then the
number is already fixed.  Basta.  So is this really a question about
definition of "top concept"?  Solution #2 gives you fewer top
concepts but #1 feels better: it gives you the maximum number of
potentially top concepts.

If we're talking about what I've called IVOAT, then the more work is
done, the fewer the top concepts.  As Rob has pointed out, a lot of
us are only in this for the vocabulary and I'm doing the BT/NT/RT
stuff only to make all the potential critics feel good about things
in general.

> The number of vocabularies we intend to produce (in particular
> whether we produce a pair of `IAU' thesauri, including a corrected
> and updated one, and which UCD vocabulary we use), and which
> interrelationships we plan to publish

Vocabularies:

	IAU93, AOIM, UCD1, A&A certainly (since they're easy)

	IVOAT hopefully (since this is hopefully the most useful)

Interrelationships:

	Tricky question:  we don't want to refer too much to IAU93, because
the suggestion will be that it's useful (which it really isn't) and
UCD1 really doesn't cover very many concepts contained in the above
vocabularies.  Stationary targets like the first list are admittedly
much easier to do, but I've already started to connect IVOAT and
UCD1, which is a good exercise since they are only partially
matchable.  IAU93 and IVOAT are so closely related - even with the
syntactic and content cleanups - that one could automate that
connection without too much trouble.

> Which namespace we use
I vote for a long-term short namespace directory (e.g. www.ivoa.net/
Thesauri/) rather than a short-term long one.  There are going to be
a number of vocabularies added with time, I'm sure.

> The WD which documents this
I agree we need a very short document saying SKOS + a few standards
(see above).

> How we manage the development and release of the vocabularies

If SKOS is the standard, then we put the SKOS documents in
www.ivoa.net/Thesauri/ with good names (e.g. IVOAT-2007-11-26.rdf)
but manage the development using text or N3 via a wiki or something
(ya'll are the experts here).  I've tried out an automatic
documentation script used at http:/www.astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de/
~hessman/rdf that I'd be glad to contribute and Douglas has produced
a totally different set of docs using standard tools (probably a
smart thing to do) but without the blunt bare list of topics/tokens
(the best thing to have).  No reason why there can't be several
different means of perusing the vocabularies, depending upon your
needs and tastes, so the IVOA would only have to have links to docs
of IVOA-supported or -favored vocabularies and not have to support an
official set of vocabulary docs.    After all, we ultimately want
each group to support their own vocabularies.   The IVOA could also
strongly suggest a minimum amount and type of documentation (e.g.
some fast bare-bones listing and some view showing the links to BT/NT/
RT's).

Rick